Sunday, October 26, 2008

Guess what? I don't have all the answers.

I think it's interesting how some of the folks with whom I attend church think that admitting to any doubt is somehow an indication of weak belief. I am sure this isn't unique to my community of faith but I imagine that if I were a new believer or someone struggling, hearing such sunny "I never waiver" declarations or "I always do X" could be really off-putting. 

I hope God leaves a little wiggle room for doubters, because I must admit, I often look at what I believe and think, "Am I kidding myself?" I look at the world and I see why people turn their back on belief; I totally get it. Sometimes I'm a "fake it 'til you make it" gal and I hope that in the end God says "Well done" all the same.

I'm trying to have some compassion for these super-optimistic-my-life-and-family-are perfect-we-always-believe-and-have-faith-matter-what people. It must be exhausting to teeter on such a high pedestal.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Hey girl! Maybe you should hang around me more often. I AM pertect and I NEVER mess up. Totally kidding - I'm so imperfect that it's scary. I agree with you 100%.

That picture you posted a few posts ago really got to me. I'd never seen it before. Heartbreaking.

H. Shae said...

Thanks! I've been reading your blog btw. SO CUTE! I've got to get with Sara for another Annie photo shoot. That pic of Bethany & Landry at the top of your blog is GREAT! Bethany's face is PRICELESS!

Amanda said...

One of my favorite versus is Mark 9:24

The story is that a father brought his demon possed son for Jesus to heal. He asked if Jesus was able to heal him and Jesus's response was 9:23" 'If you can'?" said Jesus. "Everything is possible for him who believes."

9:24 Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"

I really wish there were more sermons about passages like this.